Cloud Street

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

When the sweet turns sour

I’ve! just! exported! my! bookmarks! and! deleted! my! account!.
- Sophie, in comments at Burningbird

If this keeps up all the "Web 2.0" blog nerds will be working at Yahoo! by next month.
- Jake
Yup! I think that's the plan!
- Tom
(comments at plasticbag.org)

delicious was not only a community. It was also an experiment. A place for us geeks to meet and discuss. A place where we were changing the Web. Yes, WE were changing the Web through our ideas. And Joshua was good in picking the best ideas. Inviting us to give more. Now do you really think this will continue under Yahoo!’s reign?
- Pietro

Some lessons to learn here:
1. Never trust a startup service to store your important data no matter how the owner seems honest to you.
2. Never trust a corporate entity to continue storing your important data.
3. Never act like a fanboy on services you don’t trust.
- Ronald Johnson, in comments at the del.icio.us blog

Companies offer web services to get free ideas, exploit free R&D, and discover promising talent. They offer the APIs so people can build clever toys, the best of which the company will grab -- thank you very much -- and develop further on their own. There is no business model for mashups. If Web 2.0 really is just mashups, this is going to be one short revolution.
- Greg

This enthusiasm for big business - as long as it's a cool big business - strikes me as both dangerous and weird, not to mention being the antithesis of what's made the Net fun to work with all these years. But it is a logical development of one branch of the 'Web 2.0' hype - an increasingly dominant branch, unfortunately.
- me (on Google)

I promise not to be successful if you all give me money.
- Shelley

Update: I've switched to Simpy. It's great.

3 Comments:

  • I deleted my delicious account, too. I've been using Furl, but it's not great. Thanks for pointing to Simpy, I'll give that a try. (Really hate the name though. Too close to "simper", I guess.)

    By Blogger Bill Hooker, at 4/1/06 21:54  

  • Yeeeeeeeeee, welcome to Simpy! If you already have bookmarks in del.icio.us, note tha tyou can sync them in real-time and have them fully searchable immediately.

    sennoma: I think Furl lets you export your bookmarks, and I think you can then import that export file into Simpy. Things will be even tagged for you on their way in.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/1/06 19:09  

  • Otis, Furl will export but when I imported into Simpy I lost a bunch of tags -- anything with multiple tags was uploaded with just the first tag.

    I could go Furl-->del.icio.us (temporary account just for the purpose)--Simpy, but del.icio.us has no import function (there's been a "sorry, upgrading, down for a few days" notice on the import page for as long as I can remember). Bah!

    (I'm getting used to the name, by the way. The more you say it to yourself the less weird it gets.)

    By Blogger Bill Hooker, at 5/1/06 23:40  

Post a Comment

<< Home